1. During London 2012, Michael Phelps became the most decorated Olympian with a record haul of 22 medals in the history of Olympics. His tally of 22 medals includes, 18 Golds, 2 Silvers and 2 Bronze medals. While achieving this feat, he surpassed Larisa Latynina, belonging to erstwhile USSR, who won 18 Medals including 8 Golds as a Gymnast way back in 1964.
2. Usain Bolt, aptly names as the World's Fastest Human Being, defended his 100m and 200m titles at London 2012. With the London 2012, He is the first man in the history of sprinting to have six gold medals in his pocket.
3. India delivered its best ever performance at Olympics by winning 6 medals which comprised of 4 Bronze and 2 Silver medals. Gagan Narang was the first Indian to win a medal at London 2012. Saina Nehwal became the first Indian to win a medal in Badminton at Olympics. Following were the other medal winners for India: Vijay Kumar (Silver Medal in 25 m Rapid Fire Pistol Event), Mary Kom (Bronze in the Fly Weight category of Boxing), Yogeshwar Dutt (Bronze in 60 KG freestyle Wrestling), Sushil Kumar (Silver 66 KG Freestyle wrestling)
4. USA topped the medals tally, followed by China and in the third place we had the host nation Britain.
5. First Gold Medal of London 2012 was won by China's Yi Siling in 10 m Air Rifle event at Royal Barracks.
6. London is also going to host the Paralympic games starting from 29 Aug. The name Paralympic signifies a competition which is happening at par or parallel to the Olympics. The world Paralympic was quoted as part of the Summer Olympics of 1988 held in Seoul.
7. Unlike the symbol of Olympics which signifies the five continents, the Symbol for Paralympics is composed of three agitos colored red, blue and green. Agito as in Latin refers to "I Move". Below is the logo for the 2012 Paralympic games. The tagline for this is: Inspire a Generation
Post a Comment